Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Almost Thanksgiving

1SG Martinez told me today I had to update my blog or he was going to make me sit in the corner and take a timeout.

To say that life at the 211th is busy is like saying it snows in Minnesota once in awhile. We are about 6 weeks away from heading off to the desert and between training, administrative requirements, and physical training all the Soldiers in the mighty fightin' 211th are putting in some long hours.

I don't think I can ever say it enough, but with each and every passing day I get more impressed with the 211th Soldiers. After weeks of training and 21 days at RTC, the unit has come together nicely. Soldiers are becoming more comfortable with their assigned tasks and responsibilities and the result is...a well-oiled unit. I can't wait to get into theater and start MPAD-ing. Is that a word? It is now!

I think the funnest (or maybe funniest?) training we've done is HUMVEE licensing last week. We borrowed three brand-new (less than 200 miles) up-armored HUMVEEs from our higher command, borrowed driver trainers from another command, and spent three days out learning to go up, down, through, between, and upside down. No, not upside down...that was another training session!

It's been over 6 years since I last drove a HUMVEE and never an up-armored one. Fun!!! And going cross-country through the Texas backwoods was a thrill. At one point I was driving up a hill so steep I could only see blue sky.

I want to wish anyone who reads this a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm heading to Austin to see an old friend and then on Friday I'm taking my car in for service. Unfortunately we're back on Saturday to pick our training back up. What a weekend.

No comments: